Wednesday 17 August 2011

It's been a long time coming... Thing 6 - Online Networks

For Thing 6, I've been exploring "online networks." As a postgraduate University student, I am already extremely familiar with Facebook (for all the wrong reasons though, as it's an excellent way to procrastinate!) I use Facebook for the personal & social aspect - it's a great way to keep in contact with friends, organise events, and share photos. From a new professional point of view, however, I'm not sure how efficient Facebook is, in comparison to other networks such as LinkedIn. Saying this, a group has already been created on Facebook for 2011-2012 UCL MA students, which has been extremely useful because it has allowed me to make contact with other students prior to the course; in light of this, I can perhaps see how Facebook might be used in a professional capacity.

After reading Helen's CPD23 post, I have also joined LinkedIn. I was dubious at first, as I was unsure how useful this would really be, but I'm quite enjoying having "professional contacts" (mainly just fellow or past Graduate Trainees at the London Library), but it's still a start. The one thing I don't like about it though, is that having joined a CILIP group online, I am constantly bombarded with emails updating me on who has commented on a particular thread. There is probably a way to turn this off, so I will have to look into it, but for me, a network should be unassuming - it should allow you to engage, but should not overwhelm you with SO MUCH INFORMATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment